Community Platform

From @dbrgn on Thu Dec 06 2018 08:47:52 GMT+0000 (UTC)

I think it would be good to have some community platform besides our chat for asking questions and sharing progress. Something that is a bit more structured.

Two options come to mind: Reddit and Discourse.

Reddit

+ Already has a big community, so it's easy for people to join a subreddit
+ No hosting required
+ Easy discoverability
- We don't control the data
- Less structured
+ No backups required

Discourse

- Must be self-hosted (but that's easy)
- People have to sign up (although they can use their GitHub login for example)
+ Structured, easily searchable
+ We control the data
- We have to do backups

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/LibrePCB/librepcb-rfcs/issues/42

From @dbrgn on Thu Dec 06 2018 08:50:48 GMT+0000 (UTC)

My favorite would probably be Discourse, but I guess it would be best if that wouldn’t run on our API server. Which means that we don’t currently have a server available, right?

Any ideas? @ubruhin if you’d also prefer Discourse, maybe we could get a 5-8€/month hosting from Hetzner or Netcup using the Patreon funds?

From @ouabache on Thu Dec 06 2018 16:58:36 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Do both. Use Reddit for users and Discourse for developers

From @ubruhin on Thu Dec 06 2018 20:40:46 GMT+0000 (UTC)

I would strongly prefer Discourse as it’s much more structured.

Discourse offers free hosting for open source projects, maybe that would be sufficient for us?

Do both. Use Reddit for users and Discourse for developers

That implies that the only discussion paths are user<->user and developer<->developer. But in reality there are also many discussions between users and developers, so IMHO we should have only one platform for all kinds of discussions.

Btw, with a proper discussion platform I think this RFC repository is no longer needed…

It seems that the automatic import did not import all comments from GitHub, but at least this discussion should be resolved anyway as we have now a Discourse instance :smile:

1 Like

Yes, I guess we can close it :slightly_smiling_face: