Using custom icons / themes

From @vini2003 on Wed Oct 03 2018 17:07:18 GMT+0000 (UTC)

While decent-looking and easy to use, LibrePCB could make good use out of customizable icons, or at least different themes.
I’ve looked through a few icon packages as of late and found some interesting ones with fairly permissive licenses, such as the ones provided by Icons8, which are free to be used by open-source projects and very well made.
I made a comparison between default and custom icon versions of one LibrePCB window, which can be seen below:
[Default]

[Custom]

While not perfect, it looks much cleaner to me, and I’d appreciate being able to have a theme such as that one.
In short, it would be nice to be able to change icons.

Copied from original issue: https://github.com/LibrePCB/librepcb-rfcs/issues/28

From @0xB767B on Wed Oct 03 2018 18:35:48 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Maybe user-customizable is out of scope. But using a more pretty iconset by default could be an option to achieve a modern gui look.

From @hephaisto on Wed Oct 03 2018 18:54:02 GMT+0000 (UTC)

I would always prefer to have the icons I am used to, i.e. those supplied by one of the major frameworks. The [Default] screenshot looks very familiar, the one below does not (I just tried, and I guessed some of the functions wrong). Of course, the same will probably be true for @vini2003 the other way round.
My conclusion: Having customisable themes is nice to have, but changing the default icons to “achieve a modern look” does not sound good for me.
@vini2003 how much work was necessary to change the icons? Did you have to change any source files? If not, I would say, the feature is already present.