I’d love to see an implementation of curved PCB traces, similar in capability to that of Autodesk Eagle:
- Support for arc traces in the layout editor.
- The ability to mouse select and drop the end of a 45 degree arc to define its radius.
- The ability to apply rounded corners to angled traces.
I believe Eagle implements arc paths in exported gerber code by generating many small straight-line segments. RS-274X supports circular interpolation coordinates for plotting arcs, but I don’t know the extent to which this is supported by the PCB fabrication industry.
While the significance of rounded traces for electrical performance is a matter of some long-standing debate, I offer the following justifications:
- Artistic expression.
- Stress management in flexible PCBs.
- Convenience for certain types of layout, e.g. LED rings and other non-rectilinear designs.
- Certain unusual RF applications.
The KiCAD community has discussed this feature, but it appears to be a low priority.