Adding the Arduino shield connections to the library?

Hi everybody.

So I’m currently working on an Arduino Mega related project and need to design a custom Arduino shield for that reason. Since this is neither a difficult nor time consuming task I decided to get started with LibrePCB.

This probably won’t be the last shield I design, so I thought about adding the connections to the library. But because for an official release they need to be more polished than for my own use and that is a lot of work, I wanted to ask, if this is something that has a chance to be added to the library. Because basically it’s just some pin headers thrown on a schematic - with correct naming and positioning though.

So what are the opinions there?

Hello ItsThePoldy

You have a more than one way.
Ex. fork official arduino library from LibrePCB repository, add components and push it back.
This way is more complicated and require good skills in the LibrePCB component creation.

But my recommendation is:

• Create your own library
  • Create your componens
  • Publish your library at GitHub
  • Use it, share it…
1 Like

Hello - I created a WeMos D1 mini device just now. I am new to LibrePCB so this is my first component I created. I went through the documentation, followed every step and it seems to be all fine - with one exception: when I place the symbol into the schematic, I can, but I cannot add any wires to it. The individual pins light up when I click them, but no wire will connect :frowning:

Hi,

This sounds like pins are not connected to component signals. Did you follow the steps described in this section?

You can review/modify the connections in the component editor by double-clicking on the symbol variant (usually named “default”).

Also make sure to update the project library after making any changes to the component (or alternatively remove the component from the schematic and re-add it).

If this doesn’t help, please either provide your project (e.g. a *.lppz export) or post screenshots which show your component signal connections and the problem with the wires.

yes, I followed the steps. Is there a way to upload the lppz file in this forum? Attaching screenshots for now.

Hmm that might have been disabled, I changed now a setting, maybe it works now.

The most important screenshot is still missing - as I wrote in my last post, double-click on the “default” symbol variant in the component editor (or click its “edit” button):

I’m pretty sure the pin-to-signal map there is not set up properly. This mapping was asked by the wizard when creating a new component so usually there’s no need to do it in the component editor, but if you forgot it in the wizard you can change it here afterwards.

By the way, when you have a problem/question which is not directly related to an existing forum thread, please open a new thread instead of responding to an existing one :slightly_smiling_face:

I see. Yes, that was the issue. It said unconnected. I know I pushed the “automatically connect all signals by name” and I just did again to no avail. Instead I could manually assign the pins. It is working now, thanks for your help!

Before:

1 Like

After:

The “automatically assign all signals by name” button only works if the pin and the signal have the same name. If you have numbered pins and named signals (something that’s very common), then you need to manually assign the signals to the pins.