Symbol editor won't let me re-create the basic symbols

For example: The capacitor symbol has pin lines that are less than 0.1" long. The current version of the symbol editor will not allow me to change the length of the pin.

The symbol editor should allow me the flexibility to re-create any symbol that already exists. User defined symbols should not be hamstrung.

The schematic editor for Quartis (Altera FPGA editor) had this issuer too. After a bit of research, I found I could edit the symbol files in a text editor to achieve the results the built in symbols had. It was painful to do this, and I would prefer it if I did not have to do the same kind of hacks with librePCB.

Hi,

The downloaded libraries are opened read-only because you would loose your local changes when updating the library the next time. But LibrePCB still provides a way to override library elements from our libraries, although not available in the library editor yet:

• Copy the whole directory of the corresponding library element into a local (i.e. your own) library.
  • Open that library element in the library editor.
  • Set the version number of that library element to something very high (e.g. 9999).
  • Make your changes to that library element and save it.

Now the schematic editor should always use your own library element since it’s version number is higher than the same library element from the other, read-only library.

Thank you for your reply, but you answered a question I did not ask.
I would like to be able to make my own symbols with the pin length less than 0.1". There does not appear to be a way to do this currently even though parts with pin lengths less than 0.1" exist in the basic library.

Hm okay so then I misunderstood your question :slight_smile:

When double-clicking on a symbol pin, there a “length” input field where you can assign any pin length, are you looking for that?

grafik

Yes, that was what I was looking for. I was expecting to be able to grab an end point and drag it, but the only clickable point on a pin is the connection point itself.
Thank you.

1 Like