User's attributes in Components or/and in Device?

Hi,

I try to make my test library, with Yageo resistors. Yep, I create separate component/device for each value (I trying only).

In manual (https://docs.librepcb.org/#gettingstarted-libraries-cmp) You wrote: “The next element you need to create is the Component for a single OpAmp. Because it is still very generic (beside the LMV321LILT there are many other OpAmps with exactly the same functionality), so you should enter a generic name like Single OpAmp .”

OK, if it is “generic” element, why attributes fields are only for Components? Respective, where Can I place my special attributes? I mean link to datasheet, Manufacturer part number (MPN), order codes from several suppliers…
I thing this atributes should be placed into Device, beacuse device is unique wedding of component and footprint.

What do You think?

1 Like

Hi,

Yes I absolutely agree to allow adding attributes to devices. In fact, in the source code this is already implemented, but it’s not yet visible in the GUI. The reason is basically that I’m not yet 100% sure how it should be implemented in the schematic/board editors :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, I also agree to add proprietary attributes in the device.
I have inserted following attributes in the Component:
VALUE: String that identify the generic Part Number like “74HC00”
MANUFACTURER PRODUCT NUMBER: String that identify the real order code: “SN74HC00APW”. This code is only shown in bill of material
RESELLER CODE: Code that the reseller have to order the part number: For example Digikey: “2156-SN74HC00APW-ND”. This code is only shown in bill of material
SECOND SOURCE: Eventually a order code for second source if existing. This code is only shown in bill of material

In the component this attributes should be left blank but should be paced around the symbol. In the Device the respective string /values should be inserted. Near this attributes a chek-box should be present to select if the attribute will be shown in the schematic or not.

Gian Carlo

Thanks Carlo,

but reseller (or distributor) should be an array of the:

• Name
  • Order code (or reseller/distribudor code)
  • url link
  • and others user’s fields

Because number of the resellers can be variable.

Example for 74HC00N:

Reseller[0].name = “Mouser”
Reseller[0].code = “595-SN74HC00N”
Reseller[0].url = “https://www.mouser.sk/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/SN74HC00N?qs=st7IWvlL5%2FiRVQxNj4BeMw%3D%3D
Reseller[0].userparm[0].name = “MOQ”
Reseller[0].userparm[0].type = number (from list of preddefined types)
Reseller[0].userparm[1].value = “1”

Reseller[1].name = “Farnell”
Reseller[1].code = “3120419”
Reseller[1].url = “https://sk.farnell.com/texas-instruments/sn74hc00n/quad-2-input-nand-74hc00-dip14/dp/3120419
Reseller[1].userparm[0].name = “MOQ”
Reseller[1].userparm[0].type = number
Reseller[1].userparm[0].value = “5”

With these parameters, can be final BOM very helpful for the next use.

These parameters, don’t have be visible in schematic, but isn’t problem to add a checkbox for set visible/hide in schematiuc (I think).

btw. distributor as Mouser, Farnel,… have an API, for download some fields as price, MOQ, datasheet… :slight_smile:

Hi EdizonTN,
your proposal would be the best !
about the checkboxes it would be interesting to have different ones for every attribute that allows you to choose independently theirs visibility in the schematic, pcb, bill of material etc…

I don’t know if some of this ideas are already planned to be implemented in one of the next releases.

I create my own library so that I am sure of the components I have introduced, so my opinion (but it is my personal opinion) is that having a complete library is more important than some additional functionality in the schematic and pcb. Having to add fields later in the library that may already include several hundred of components is more onerous than doing some workaround in the schematic and PCB to overcome some missing functionalites. But, this, as mentioned, is my personal opinion.